Trnava University (TU)
TU is a modern university with a great heritage. The original TU established in 1635 was the first university in the former Hungarian empire. It offered education to students of many nations and played an important role in the history of Central Europe and contributing significantly to the development of European education and culture. Trnava was the first town in the territory of today's Slovakia to be granted privileges of the free royal town in 1238 by the Hungarian King Belo IV. The 142 years of the existence of the first TU in the multi ethnic Kingdom of Hungary represented a golden chapter in the town's history.
The University of Trnava re-opend in 1992. It is a public university with five faculties (Faculty of Philosophy, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Health Care and Social Work, Faculty of Theology, Faculty of Law). The Faculty of Philosophy was one of the founding faculties of today's University. Since its establishment, the Faculty has developed into a well-know scientific and educational institution in which tradition and innovative approaches are combined. The primary mission of the Faculty of Philosophy and its nine departments is to provide a hight standard (university) education in philosophy, human and social sciences, cognitive studies, and arts. The objectiv of the faculty is to prepare specialists in philosophy, cognitive sciences, ethics, sociology, history, psychology, political science, classical languages and archaeology.
The University degree system consists of Bachelor Degree, Master Degree, and Doctoral Degree (PhD.) study programs.
Department of Philosophy
Department of philosophy offers Bacelor, Master, and PhD program of study in philosophy and history of philosophy.
In addition, students can take a popular Master degree in Cognitive studies.
Trnava is close to the main cultural centres:
Bratislava, the Capital of Slovakia, 50 km (30 min by train),
Vienna (Austria) – 90 km (60 min), Prague (Czech Republic) – 300 km (3.5 hod),
Budapest (Hungary) 150 km (1.2 hod), Krakow (Poland) 250 km (3.5 hod).
There are two other universities in the city with many students living and coming to the city. The city offers very friendly atmosphere, safe and secure environment, relatively high standard of living for the costs, which are much lower in comparison with other EU cities.
Trnava is the oldest Slovak free royal town with the biggest wall fortification of the historical center in Europe. The name derives from the Slovak word tŕnie ("thornbush") which characterized the river banks in the region. When it became an important market town, it received the Hungarian name of Szombathely (Sumbot, in 1211) referring to the weekly market fairs held on Saturdays (Hungarian: szombat). In ordinary life only the Slovak name was used, mainly by German newcomers after the Mongol invasion. Name in other languages: German: Tyrnau; Hungarian: Nagyszombat (from the 14th century onward) and Latin: Tyrnavia.